“Go, therefore, make disciples of all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28: 19-20)
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: “Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.” (CCC)
Parents may choose godparents for their children from among family and friends qualified to serve in that capacity.
Parents may choose a godfather and a godmother, or just one godparent (canon 873). Godparents not only serve as a witness at the ceremony of Baptism but also assist the baptized in leading a Christian life (canon 872). Therefore, Church law requires that godparents be people who are living the Catholic faith and meet the following qualifications (canon 874, §1):
- They should ordinarily be at least 16 years old.
- They must be Catholics who have received Baptism, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation.
- They must lead a life in harmony with the Catholic faith, including attendance at weekly Mass.
- Parents of the child to be baptized may not serve as godparents.
- They must be married in the Church if they are in a marital relationship.If godparents are not able to be present in person for the Baptism, proxies may be designated to stand in for them at the ceremony. Please make sure to mention this when registering your child.
Baptism Preparation Class
Parents are the primary educators of their children in the faith (canon 774, §2). Therefore, parents are required to be instructed on the meaning of the sacrament of Baptism and the obligations that come from it (canon 851, 3°). To fulfill this requirement, parents and godparents are asked to attend Baptism Preparation Class, To register for the classes, please contact the office.